Omitir los comandos de cinta
Saltar al contenido principal
Inicio de sesión
Universidad EAFIT
Carrera 49 # 7 sur -50 Medellín Antioquia Colombia
Carrera 12 # 96-23, oficina 304 Bogotá Cundinamarca Colombia
(57)(4) 2619500

Legal issues


​International Health Insurance

Students should give proof of a valid international health insurance during the whole period that you will be studying Spanish.

PID students:​

A student visa is required if you are planning to stay for more than 180 days. A shorter period will require a special stamp granted by the immigration office at the arrival port. A tourist stamp is not enough. Please notice that status requirements vary from one country to another. We suggest you check this with the competent office (Embassy, consulate or others).

If you are staying for only one semester at the Spanish Program you will just need an entry permit (PID) which is stamped in the airport at your arrival in Colombia. Before the 90 days expiration of the PID permit, students must obtain a PID permit at the Migration Office in Medellín (approximate cost: 36 USD)

Student visa

A student visa is required if you are planning to stay for more than 180 days.

The steps you must follow in order to apply for a Tipo V​ visa are:

Enter the website of the Colombian consulate in your country and consult if it is possible to apply online or if you must carry out the process directly with an officer at the consulate.

If you can apply online, please have the following documents ready before completing the online form:

  1.  Letter of Acceptance from Universidad EAFIT.
  2.  Copy of your Passport openned on the page with your photo and information.
  3.  If you are applying inside Colombian territory, you must have a copy of the page with the entry stamps. 
  4. A letter from the person economically responsible of the expenses you will incur in during your studies in Colombia along with a bank certification that shows an average of 10 monthly official minimum wages during the last 6 months. 
  5.  A recent photo of 4cmx3cm.

    Once you have these documents ready, access the online form at  SITAC ( ) and complete your visa application. Don't forget to specify that you will study at Universidad EAFIT.

    To finalize the application process, you must pay 15 USD. Once your visa is approved, you will have to pay 50 USD.

    Once you receive your electronic visa, you must go to a Colombian consulate to get it stamped on your passport. This step is VERY important because without the visa stamped in your passport you can't apply for the foreign ID card. NB: If you couldn't get to a Colombian consulate for this step, you can also complete it in Bogota.

    If your consulate does not allow you to apply online, then take the documents mentioned above to the consulate at the time of your appointment and complete the process they indicate.

    If you need further information regarding visas and their application processes, we recommend accessing Classes Visas .  

    ( )


Foreign id card application

An international student that has been granted a Titular V visa must go to a regional office of Migración Colombia in order to apply for a Foreign ID card during the first 15 days after he/she arrived in Colombian territory. Failing to do so can generate economic fines.

In order to apply for a Colombian Foreign ID card, you must go to Migración Colombia's regional office in Medellin located at Calle 19 # 80A-40 Barrio Belén La Nubia from 8:00 am until 4:00 pm. Please bring with you the following documents:

  1. One (1) copy of your passport opened on the page with your photo
  2. One (1) copy of the page with the Colombian entry stamps on your Passport
  3. One (1) copy of your Colombian visa
  • If it is the first time you are applying for a Foreign ID card, you must also bring a 3x4 photo as well as a Blood Type Certificate that you can get at the laboratory located in Clínica Las Vegas (this one is close to EAFIT campus).
  • Recaudo, bank code (código bancario) 101, in the checking account (cuenta corriente) of Banco de Occidente No. 263-05464-5, for $190.000 Colombian pesos.

The receipt of the payment made to Unidad Administrativa Especial de Migración CoYour Foreign ID card will be valid for the same time as your visa. In case you apply for an extension of your studies at EAFIT, you shall need to apply for a new visa as well as a new Foreign ID card. 


If you need more information regarding the application process an d who needs to get a Foreign ID Card,  we recommend accessing  Migration Colombia. ( )


Consulates and embassies in medellín​ 

Última modificación: 09/09/2020 19:32